Reinventing the Marketplace
Rakuten’s e-commerce platform, called Rakuten Ichiba in Japan, is Japan’s #1 e-commerce marketplace, with more than 25% of the online business-to-consumer market and 30% in categories such as apparel, food and household accessories.
It is a pure third-party online marketplace founded on the idea that online shopping should be both entertaining and highly personalised. Close to 50,000 businesses, including manufacturers, brands, retailers and resellers sell on Rakuten. Merchants can create their own landing page within the marketplace which takes visitors straight to their shop on the marketplace. They have greater flexibility in the way that they design their page layout, making a more unique buying experience compared to a product-centric site like other major marketplaces.
We highly recommend merchants consider Rakuten Japan if they:
- Are ready to expand globally in locations with a high demand for foreign brands
- Would like to explore new opportunities in the APAC region
- Want to determine the market opportunity before considering a Japanese entity
- Plan to build a stronger brand awareness or better brand image in Japan
- Have a Japanese local partner but are not satisfied with their performance
- Sell in Japan already
Rakuten has a team of onboarding consultants who specialise in overseas business. They guide you through accessing the market opportunity and business requirements to start trading on Rakuten Japan. Once your store is live, a dedicated e-commerce consultant (ECC) will be assigned to further drive sales and maximise your store’s performance to ensure success on Rakuten Ichiba marketplace.
Get started by visiting rakuten.co.jp/ec/sellinjapan.