6 August, 2015 ChannelAdvisor 2015 Online Retail Survey reveals e-commerce insights about Amazon, social media, fulfillment and more
London, UK – 6 August 2015 – ChannelAdvisor Corporation (NYSE:ECOM), a leading provider of cloud-based e-commerce solutions that enable retailers and manufacturers to increase global sales, today revealed the results of its 2015 Online Retail Survey, a survey of more than 200 U.S. and U.K. retailers and branded manufacturers. More than a third (37 percent) of respondents have annual revenue of $15 million or more exclusively in online sales, and approximately 40 percent of respondents’ total annual revenue from all sales exceeds $29 million (74 percent of respondents also have a brick-and-mortar location). The survey yielded significant results, identifying trends, opportunities and challenges in the e-commerce space.
Amazon dominates e-commerce
- Amazon generates the greatest sales volume for 60 percent of respondents when comparing marketplaces
- More than half of retailers use FBA to streamline logistics and reach more Amazon Prime subscribers
- More than a third (35 percent) of retailers listed Amazon Product Ads and Amazon Sponsored Links as the digital marketing channel that provides the most return on investment (ROI)
“The results of our 2015 Online Retail Survey signifies the rapid growth of Amazon’s third-party marketplace,” said Scot Wingo, ChannelAdvisor executive chairman. “Amazon’s three-pronged approach that focuses on selection, value and convenience has clearly benefited merchants as well as online shoppers, and it’s helped position the company as a leader in e-commerce.
Mobile e-commerce usage is catching on in the U.S. and U.K.
More than a third (34 percent) of U.S. retailers are seeing 21 to 30 percent of their web traffic come from mobile devices, whereas a third of U.K. retailers are seeing 11 to 20 percent of their web traffic come from mobile
Retailers get social on Facebook
- Nearly 90 percent of retailers currently have a presence on Facebook
- Facebook is the social platform that creates the most sales conversions for retailers’ products
- Nearly a quarter (23 percent) of retailers said Facebook provides the most ROI for their company when comparing the performance of various digital marketing channels
Retailers quickly deliver orders
- Same-day delivery is offered by more than a quarter of retailers (28 percent)
- Nearly two thirds (63 percent) of retailers offer next-day delivery to customers
- More than half (56 percent) of retailers offer two-day shipping
- Nearly a third (32 percent) of retailers offer international delivery
- Buy online, pick up in store is offered by 14 percent of retailers
ChannelAdvisor commissioned Redshift Research to conduct the 2015 Online Retail Survey. Research was performed using an email invitation and an online survey. All survey respondents were e-commerce decision makers for their respective companies. Stay tuned for results from the holiday portion of the 2015 Online Retail Survey.
Much more data from the survey is included in the 2015 Online Retail Survey report. To view the report, please visit http://bit.ly/2015OnlineRetailSurvey.