The Jason and Scot Show is a weekly podcast with the latest e-commerce news and events. Episode 64 is a recap of our predictions from 2016 (episode 8), and our predictions for 2017.
Listen to the Podcast here:
Our 2017 Commerce Predictions
- Retailers will truly embrace Omni-channel (Attribution/Inventory/promotion/pricing).
- AI — Bots for customer service but probably not for transactions, lots of buzz on big data AI but no game-changing new experiences.
- Personalization — To eliminate friction, not drive new demand. Data integration is not some new product or touchpoint.
- Laggard categories will discover digital (Grocery, Luxury, QSR).
- Microservices — 50% of new platform implementations will be cloud, and micro-service based solutions will start to emerge.
Bonus — Digital wallets. Something other than Paypal/Amazon will achieve 10% of US e-commerce transitions (not occurring on Amazon). Potentially a mix of vendor wallets (Chase, Walmart, ApplePay in Safari, etc.) or the W3C Web Payments standard could gain traction.
- The IPO market is going to be open, but the e-commerce companies will get crowded out by the big tech unicorns like Uber, Snap, Pinterest, Airbnb, Spotify and the like.
- Amazon will start to chip away at the FedEx and UPS’s of the world with a service like this in the US. From there (potential 2018) Amazon could expand into P2P and reverse logistics, i.e. “we’re already at your house, do you have any other stuff to ship?”
- Machine learning is the new ‘network effect’ — everyone has caught onto the power and competitive moats available from ML and that’s going to be a big theme. Every vendor you work with from carts to images to upsells to recommendations to search engine results to whatever is going to HAVE to have an ML capability to stay current and keep YOU competitive.
- We’re going to see e-commerce growth accelerate pretty materially in 2017. We’ve been in this 15% band and I think we will see that there was a move up in 2H16 to high teens and we could see 20’s in 2017.
- EBay — it’s a do or die year for eBay, they could potential partner with Alibaba.
Bonus – Amazon will release another phone.
Don’t forget to like our Facebook page, and if you enjoyed this episode please write us a review on iTunes.
Episode 64 of the Jason & Scot show was recorded on Tuesday, January 3, 2017.
This post was written by Scot Wingo, Executive Chairman and Co-founder, ChannelAdvisor