Note: This is a regular feature published by ChannelAdvisor highlighting the Same Store Sales (SSS) across our wide range of thousands of retailers and billions in GMV. Details on the SSS including background, methodology, disclaimers and schedule can be found in this post. Our detailed Holiday 2013 schedule can be found here.
Several readers and customers have correctly noted that due to the unusual calendar this year with a very late Thanksgiving, day-to-day comparisons (e.g. Nov 1-7 2012 vs. 13) is a bit ‘unfair’ because in 2012, that date range was < 3 weeks from Thanksgiving and here in 2013, it’s > 3 weeks from Thanksgiving. We thought that was an interesting thought and in addition to our standard ‘date aligned’ results today we are looking at ‘time shifted’ results below.
As we get into Thanksgiving and what we call the Cyber 5 (Thanksgiving -> CyberMonday) we will of course shift everything vs. date aligned.
Date aligned SSS results
Today we are releasing the results for the third week (7 day period) of November 2013 (15-21): (click to enlarge)
Here is our analysis on the results:
- Amazon – Amazon dipped a bit in week three from week two, but is still well North of 20%, which we view as a positive set-up for the holiday.
- eBay – eBay increased to 12.9% in the third week.
- CSE – CSE slowed to 5.2%.
- GS – Google Shopping/PLA slowed to 46%, showing some headwinds compared to last year’s holiday ramp.
- Search – Search increased to 2.2% in week 3 from 1.7% in week 2.
Tablet+Smartphone continued to take share from Desktop coming in at 19%. Conversion rates on Phone ticked up slightly with the rest remaining largely unchanged.
Date shifted November analysis
As mentioned, we thought it would be interesting to ‘date shift’ the weeks in November to get a better ‘aligned comp’. To do this, we start with the day before Thanksgiving (11/21/12 and 11/27/13) and mark those week 1 before TG, week 2 before TG, etc.
In this table we have the three week period and two week period before Thanksgiving aligned between 2012 and 2013:
A couple of insights from this view of the data:
- Amazon – ramping very nicely compared to last year and into Thanksgiving which bodes well for them over the Cyber 5.
- eBay – Growing in-line with e-commerce heading into holiday.
- CSE and GS also look strong going into the Thanksgiving kick-off
- Search is under pressure which is what we’ve been seeing all year from Google Shopping.
Our next post will be on Thanksgiving day (Nov 28th) where we’ll update you on November MTD, fill out the time shift above and have an early read on what we’re seeing in the land of e-commerce on Thanksgiving Day. After that we’ll kick into daily mode through Cyber Monday, so stay tuned and everyone have a great Thanksgiving!
This blog post was written by Scot Wingo, ChannelAdvisor CEO.