We are T-minus one day from Thanksgiving (which is becoming the new Black Friday this year) and two days from the ‘real’ Black Friday. In the US, these next 30 days for retailers will make or break the year and we’ll be reporting throughout the key selling season (see the last section for the detailed holiday schedule).
Today we are releasing an update on how e-commerce channels are trending MTD. The data in these reports is all from our Same Store Sale data (you can read the background on this data in our January report). It also may be informative to check out our report for the first two weeks which is here.
Holiday 2012 – Pre Thanksgiving Observations
Here is how things are trending on a channel-by-channel basis as we head into Thanksgiving:
Not much new to report here. The eBay and Amazon marketplaces are looking the strongest heading into the holiday. CSE has shown some pretty strong improvements – largely driven by a lot of Google Shopping/PLA activity we are seeing. Unfortunately that seems to be taking share from search clicks as we’ve described.
Holiday 2012 – Mobile Update (Smartphone/Tablet)
One trend we’re watching like hawks this holiday is the rise of mobile computing. It’s important when looking at mobile to split it into the smartphone form factor and the tablet form factor because they have distinct and very different behaviours.
In this table we took a snapshot of the traffic driven via search and CSE to retailers and look at the percent of the traffic by device type:
You can see a pretty dramatic trend here – both SmartPhone and Tablet (thus mobile) are doubling in their share of traffic/usage and computer usage is down (share-wise) 12-13%. Behind this data, what’s really interesting is that while these relative numbers are impressive, the absolute numbers are even more impressive – mobile traffic is up 300%. There have been a lot of predictions that this will be the holiday of mobile: here we are before Thanksgiving and Mobile represents 25-26% of the traffic – that’s astounding and I think most retailers are behind the curve on this.
Upcoming SSS Calendar:
- Thursday, November 22 (Thanksgiving) – We’ll share an early read on Thanksgiving trends
- Friday, November 23 (Black Friday) – We’ll have an early read on Black Friday trends
- Saturday, November 24 (Cyber Saturday)– We’ll be releasing complete Black Friday details
- Sunday, November 25 (Cyber Sunday)– We’ll be sharing Cyber Saturday results
- Monday, November 26 (Cyber Monday)– We’ll be releasing Cyber Sunday results and have an early read on Cyber Monday
- Tuesday, November 27 – We’ll be reporting complete Cyber Monday and Cyber Five updates
- Thursday, December 6 – We’ll release complete November SSS results with added colour
- Friday, December 7 – We’ll take a look at the first week of December and Holiday YTD
- Friday, December 14 – We’ll check in on the second week of December and Holiday YTD
- Friday, December 21– We’ll see how things are looking during the third week of December
- Monday, January 7, 2013– We’ll share December 2012 SSS and Holiday Wrap Up
This post written by Scot Wingo, CEO, ChannelAdvisor. I am long Amazon and Google. eBay is an investor in ChannelAdvisor.