Note: This is a regular feature published by ChannelAdvisor highlighting the Same Store Sales (SSS) across our wide range of thousands of retailers and billions in GMV. Details on the SSS including background, methodology, disclaimers and schedule can be found in this post. Our detailed Holiday 2014 schedule can be found here.
We are following the Black Friday data closely and thought you would be interested in an update for how things are trending today. This data is through noon ET on 11/28/14. Historically we have seen the afternoon and evening hours trend up from the morning, so think of these as a ‘start’ to Black Friday. In the following table we include Thanksgiving data as a comparison as well:
Here are some insights:
- Overall – Overall we are still seeing online sales trend over 20% y/y which is well above the comScore 16% prediction.
- Other 3PM – Other 3PM (marketplaces excluding eBay and Amazon) declined to 76.4% from Thanksgiving’s 110.0% growth. BestBuy had a well reported outage on Black Friday for 2hrs from 9-11am which caused headwinds for this metric.
- eBay – eBay showed a very strong start to the day coming in at 42.3%. eBay is pushing their Daily Deals program heavily as part of Black Friday deals and ChannelAdvisor’s customers are big participants in this program.
- Amazon – Amazon slowed a bit from Thanksgiving to Black Friday – as mentioned, Black Friday usually starts slow and then catches up as shoppers get home and continue their search for products.
- CSE – Continues to see headwinds, declining 2.3% y/y so far this Black Friday.
- GS – Google Shopping/PLA grew 5.6%, like Amazon, we anticipate this will pick up through the day.
- Search – Search grew 3.8% y/y.
Our next post will be tomorrow (Nov 29th) where we’ll update you on Black Friday. We will be reporting daily from here through the day after Cyber Monday.
This blog post was written by Scot Wingo, ChannelAdvisor CEO