This blog post is part of our 2017 Holiday Planning series. Be sure to check back often or, better yet, subscribe to the blog to stay updated with this year’s latest holiday trends, tips, best practices, reports and more!
When you typically think of the holiday season, you likely picture Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas decorations, snow and possibly Santa Claus. But for sellers looking to make the most of the holidays, the season is already underway. A successful holiday season is comprised of many factors, many of which are specific to your business. However, sales promotions, pricing strategy, logistics, inventory adjustments, office closures and listing optimizations are just a few techniques that consistently prove to be major influencers of a successful season.
Each year, the holiday season begins sooner and sooner. In 2016, major Black Friday sales started the week before Thanksgiving, extending the holiday shopping season closer to Christmas due to both consumers and retailers being more confident in shipping and logistics. Don’t miss out on your chance to take advantage of early holiday season sales this year!
What should my holiday prep list look like?
- Product Optimization: Proper listing information should be the first priority for most sellers. If you aren’t making the most of your product listings, you’re going to have a hard time converting those page views into sales and may potentially waste that valuable advertising budget.
- Sales Promotions and Advertising: Most online marketplaces offer various sales and promotional advertising. It’s important to begin setting aside advertising budgets to participate in these campaigns now since it can sometimes take a little time to fully implement. Starting these programs earlier can also give you the opportunity to get the jump on your competition by winning the Amazon Buy Box or gaining those extra few sales to build your sales history on eBay.
- Pricing Strategy: Most consumers are constantly looking for the best deals during the holiday season, which can cause many sellers to fight for the lowest price without consideration of any other factors. ChannelAdvisor’s repricers offer a great way to help you make the most out of your pricing strategy and stay competitive during the holiday season.
- Accurate and Updated Inventory: It’s crucial to consider the surge of incoming orders during this longer holiday season and ensure you’ve got enough inventory, especially your top selling products. Begin having these conversations with your suppliers and warehouse personnel now to ensure that products are being stocked and shipped out on time to avoid losing out on any of those crucial selling days.
- Logistics: Most sellers are going to see an extremely large influx in orders for a few months. With that higher demand, it is imperative to consider your ability to still meet the marketplace’s expectations when it comes to fulfillment. If concern remains about meeting those fulfillment metrics, please adjust your shipping options and handling times accordingly, or consider other services such as Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) or FedEx Fulfillment to help with warehousing and distribution during the busy season.
What if I’m not sure how to implement some of these techniques?
The holiday season will be here and gone before you know it. Now that you have an idea of which key areas to focus on, begin working to address any inefficiencies you might currently be experiencing and get ready to have a great season.
This time period can be busy and stressful for many sellers, but here at ChannelAdvisor, we want to use our knowledge and expertise to help make it a fun and successful experience. As always, we’re here to help you seize the opportunities available and help you realize the full potential of your business. As a ChannelAdvisor client, you have access to a variety of information through our new Community pages. We also recommend subscribing to the blog so that you’re up-to-date on the latest news and happenings around here! If you think you might like to have a more personal touch, our Professional Services team is available to assist you in areas around optimization and efficiency.
Contact us today to see how we can help take the stress out of your holiday planning.