Optimising your eBay listings and item specifics can have a hefty impact on your overall eBay presence. It’s essential, therefore, that you have a thorough understanding of how to best utilise your eBay item specifics — and why doing so will help you sell your products.
Item specifics allow you to provide details about the item you’re selling, such as brand, size type, size, colour and style. These details can boost your eBay presence by helping your products be found in search results, be seen by buyers after search filters have been applied and increase conversions. As item specifics are also used when eBay listings are submitted to Google Shopping, using the right details can increase traffic. Your products will also have a more professional presence if your item specifics match those in the eBay catalogueueueue.
On the eBay website, you will find item specifics “below the fold” on your listing — the first piece of product information the user sees above your description. Item specifics are also presented in a prime position for mobile users within the eBay app. Their presence allows a shopper to see key characteristics about your product right at their fingertips. This information about your item helps shoppers identify the proper product for their need.
The types of item specifics you’ll want to include depend on your product category. In most cases, you’ll want to include brand, colour, size, type/style, material and MPN/UPC/EAN/ISBN. We recommend adding as many item specifics as possible to ensure visibility. While eBay defines a number of item specifics that are relevant in each category, you know your product better than anyone else. If you identify additional characteristics that should be included with your product information, those can be added as your own custom item-specific values.
Here, we’ve compiled eight tips on how to make the most of your item specifics on eBay.
1. There are a number of sources at your disposal to help you best utilise eBay item specifics for your products. The ChannelAdvisor platform has full support for all item-specifics functionality. Using only one posting template, ChannelAdvisor can automatically match item specifics on eBay if they are present in the inventory data.
2. On the ChannelAdvisor platform, review the eBay Insights feedback about your existing open listings and the additional item specifics that are recommended to increase your visibility and exposure. From your eBay 360 Dashboard, you can see the Insights for item specifics, along with other listing quality enhancements that may be appropriate.
3. If you’re uncertain of what item specifics you need for your listing, contact our support team. If you specify the top-level categories you use to list your products, we can provide you with a complete list of the item specifics available from eBay in those categories. You can also use eBay’s Item Specifics Lookup Tool to help identify the values eBay accepts and to find out whether the value is required and if you can add your own values. If there are item specifics you feel are important to describe your product but are not in the list from eBay, you can easily create your own custom item specifics to be submitted with your products.
4. EBay provides a catalogueueueue that can match all the details for you automatically if you send a unique identifier and product type, provided they exist in the catalogueueueue. The catalogueueueue, however, is limited to specific categories and types of products, such as consumer electronics, movies and books.
5. It’s always worth keeping an eye on your competitors’ approaches to item specifics. Keep a lookout for item specifics that are either missing or frequently used, which eBay categories are similar to yours and what happens when you filter and narrow search results using the left-hand navigation filters.
Implement and Optimise
1. Translate your findings into actions. Add data where you see fit or invest in collecting key data if it’s not available at the time. If you enhance information on your SKUs or enable certain attributes as custom item specifics, ChannelAdvisor will automatically submit the new data to eBay to enhance your existing listings. Use the eBay Insights feedback to identify the item specifics that will improve your visibility.
2. Search engines use unique identifiers such as UPC, EAN and ISBN to index your listings. In most cases, Google Shopping will also list your product if you specified your brand in addition to the MPN. For apparel, you’ll need to include brand, size and colour in order to be found. We highly recommend that you add key values to your item specifics where possible, which could potentially draw more traffic and conversions.
3. If you’re selling automotive parts through eBay, you’ll rely on a Master Vehicle List (MVL) to match the vehicle and fitment details in addition to the item specifics. You’ll need to carefully check which item specifics are required.
Through research and optimisation, your eBay item specifics can play a large role in the success of your product listings. We hope this guide has provided further motivation for fully utilising your eBay listings. For more information about how to succeed on eBay, check out our earlier blog posts:
- Optimising Your eBay Titles and Subtitles
- How to List Compatibility for Your Parts and Accessories on eBay Motors