Note: This is a regular feature published by ChannelAdvisor highlighting the Same Store Sales (SSS) across our wide range of thousands of retailers and billions in GMV. Details on the SSS including background, methodology, disclaimers and schedule can be found in this post. Our detailed Holiday 2014 schedule can be found here.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE! At ChannelAdvisor we are thankful for our customers, partners and having the privilege to work in the exciting world of e-commerce.
Today we are releasing an early look at Thanksgiving data. This data is date-shifted to compare Thanksgiving this year (Nov 27) vs. last year (Nov 28). Last year we saw shoppers hit the online offers as early as Thanksgiving so we are doing an early look to see how Thanksgiving is shaping up. This data measures from midnight ET -noon to look at the first 12hrs.
A couple of insights from this view of the data:
- Total – e-commerce is set to grow 16% y/y and so far for Thanksgiving we are at 18.6%, faster than e-commerce trend, indicating that indeed consumers are shopping online this Thanksgiving
- Amazon – Amazon is out performing the 16% benchmark coming in at 28.2%
- eBay – eBay grew 5.7% y/y for the intraday Thanksgiving period. eBay tends to be driven by inventory shortages, so we will have to see if this perks up later in the season
- CSE – CSEs were down 4.7% y/y, driven by traditional CSEs
- GS – Google Shopping/PLA grew at 5.7% y/y
- Search – grew at 12.4% – in line with e-commerce growth
Our next post will be tomorrow (Black Friday, Nov 28th) where we’ll update the final details on Thanksgiving (including device data/trends) and we’ll start filling in our annual Cyber5 table. We will also have an early look at Black Friday data tomorrow.
This blog post was written by Scot Wingo, ChannelAdvisor CEO