Reminder – if any of the acronyms here are confusing, check the backgrounder here.
Background – the room is setup classroom style with three screens. ebayinkblog has picture here for those curious about the setup.
8:15am – Kicking off with Mark Rowan, head of IR@eBay – holding Q’s until end of day (yikes). Disclaimers, blah blah blah.
- Making strong changes to keep up with the world of ecommerce
- New focus on technology and innovations
- No longer simply auctions co – ecommerce platform provider
- We are a strong company (highlights skype+paypal)
- eBay marketplace isn’t keeping up
- Continues to fall short of our expectations – not acceptable
- Held on to past too long
- Made changes. They were necessary but not enough
- Dedicated to new eBay – focused on where we can win
- Strengthening PayPal
- Opportunity is bigger than eBay
- eBay execs are accountable for driving change and results
- Long piece about history of eBay – point is they realise ecommerce is rapidly changing.
- Building portfolio of formats to address needs.
- 5yrs ago – eBay marketplace was 75% of what we do.
- Today – eBay Marketplace is 50% of what we do
- FP is half of that
- So when say no longer auctions – it’s only 25/30% – customer driven (I tend to disagree here)
- Paypal will be 1/3 of what we do in 09
- Skype growing rapidly
This slide was used to show growth in front of all business lines:
- Did his Walmart comp as he did at goldman
- Multiple winners in shopping (ecommerce)
- Few winners in payments.
Paypal will be first today, reiterates how great and big opp is.
- Didn’t change the model fast enough
- Throwing out the playbook
- New in season -1 – where they see winning
- Marketplace will tranform to wn there.
- First fix the foundation, stand behind all transactions.
- eBay to guarantee every transaction – JD has teaser on that. LN will cover
- Grow complementary formats – ST will cover
- Creating the new eBay – pace of change and innovation will accelerate – win secondary market.
- Will take time!
(This one has some weeble looking people that everyone on twitter thought was humorous)
Here’s the ‘this will take time (011)’ slide:
Lots of comments here – nothing new. Not going to apologize for Skype any more.
- Everyone comped on NPS –
- Andreeson on board, new CTO
- Funding platform efforts
- Never been known for cost management.
Next up – ST from PayPal
SeekingAlpha Disclosure – long amazon and google