To help all retailers prepare for the holiday rush, we’ll be kicking our blog into high gear, sharing several holiday preparation tips as we lead up to the holiday season. We want to make sure you’re covered from all angles, so two tips per post — one on digital marketing and one on marketplaces — and two blogs per week. We’ll begin with the tips that take the most time to implement and end with the less complex. Let the prepping commence!
Do you have shiny new product listing ads (PLAs) for the holidays? Maybe you’re looking to better leverage your existing ones for a holiday sales bump? Well, if you effectively manage your mobile bidding, you could very well gain that traffic surge you’re wishing for this holiday season.
If that’s already happening for you and orders are pouring in (congrats!), you’ll want to be sure your shipping management process is efficient — for cost purposes and your sanity. The tips below will help you create the best-case scenarios for your listings this holiday season!
Marketplaces Tip #10: Consider Fulfillment by Amazon
“You sell it, we ship it” is the Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) motto. With FBA, you store your products in Amazon’s fulfillment centers and Amazon takes care of the delivery details — picking, packing, shipping and providing customer service for those products.
FBA runs such a tight operation that it experienced 65% year-over-year growth in third-party sellers using the service worldwide. Further, in a 2013 survey, some 73% of third-party sellers using FBA experienced 20% growth in unit sales since joining the program.
So why are retailers so excited about FBA? We’ve compiled the benefits below:
- FBA Benefits:
- All FBA products become Prime eligible.
- FBA products have a greater chance of winning the Buy Box.
- Amazon handles the picking, packing and shipping.
- Amazon handles customer service.
- Prime users do a large portion of their holiday shopping on Amazon. (In 2013, 1 million new Prime members signed up during the third week of December alone.)
- If you’re already using FBA:
- Review your current FBA products and consider sending in more.
- Use the Amazon Selling Coach or the ChannelAdvisor Fulfillment Insights feature to identify good candidates for FBA placement.
- Recommendations are made based on customer interest and a low number of other FBA offers.
Digital Marketing Tip #10: Manage your mobile bidding
Given the worldwide proliferation of mobile devices, our internal experts recommend increasing bidding on mobile keywords by 20% this holiday season, just like desktop keyword bidding.
Following in Google’s footsteps, Bing recently rolled up tablets into the desktop device target. You can, however, still make tablet bid adjustments as a percentage. By Q1 2015, mobile will be bid as a modifier, just as it is with Google.
We always love hearing about your progress as we approach one of the busiest times of year, so feel free to update us in the comments below.
Be on the lookout for the next post in our holiday series. We’ll discuss Multi-Channel Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) and strategies for using the Product Group Generator!
Blog post by Jordan Nowlin, social media and blog manager, ChannelAdvisor