Welcome back to another episode of Channel Advice, our video series aimed at answering some of your most pressing e-commerce questions by some of the industry’s foremost experts.
Today’s episode was filmed live in San Diego at Catalyst 2018, where we sat down with Michael Zakkour. Michael is Vice President, Global eCommerce and China/APAC Consumer Practices at the consulting firm Tompkins International and is the author of the Wiley international best-seller “China’s Super Consumers.”
We caught up with Michael to talk about Chinese consumers, the “New Retail” and how sellers should approach the growing e-commerce opportunity in China today.
Some key takeaways:
- Chinese consumers are the first “super consumers” since the post-WWII Americans, and they are spending more than any other country on earth today.
- China is fusing technology and entertainment with shopping, so that “technology isn’t just part of the shopping experience, it is the shopping experience.”
- Singles Day in 2017 saw Alibaba process $25 billion in one day, which translates to 120,000 orders per second and 6.5 million parcels delivered.
Make sure to watch the full video for all of Michael’s insight. Also, follow him on Twitter and check out his best-selling book: “China’s Super Consumers: What 1 Billion Customers Want and How to Sell it to Them.”
Interested in expanding your business to China or other international markets? Fill out this quick form, and we’ll be in touch soon to discuss the potential opportunities available to you.
Are you just now hearing about Channel Advice? Make sure to check out the five previous episodes below:
- Episode 1: Getting Rid of Excess Inventory
- Episode 2: Optimizing Post-Holiday Strategies
- Episode 3: Maximizing Facebook Ad Performance
- Episode 4: Leveraging eBay’s Promotional Tools
- Episode 5: Optimizing Mobile Strategy with Google
We love hearing from you! So be sure to send all of your e-commerce questions to email@example.com (or Tweet to us with the hashtag #ChannelAdvice).