eBay has been a major presence in online retail since the late 1990s and now operates in more than 190 countries globally. As one of the world’s first-ever online marketplaces, eBay has been riding the ups and downs of e-commerce for more than 20 years, but has arguably never been more popular with shoppers, and thus valuable for retailers, than right now.
With the surging popularity of marketplaces in Australia and globally, eBay is ideally placed to capitalise on its established position in the minds of shoppers and continues its strong growth into the future.
With this in mind, we’ve pulled together some key information about the tech giant and its operations in Australia.
Just getting started…
1. eBay was founded in 1995.
2. The site was originally called AuctionWeb.
3. The first item listed on eBay was a broken laser pointer, proving that even in the 90s, the internet was a strange place.
4. eBay launched in Australia in 1999 with eBay.com.au
25 years on, still a major player
5. eBay remains the largest marketplace in Australia and one of the largest in the US.
6. The site was originally designed to be a true peer-to-peer online marketplace, with a focus on used and collectible items in auction-style listings. eBay has since shifted more towards fixed-price ‘buy it now’ listings, which now account for most of its sales.
7. You can buy nearly anything you can imagine on eBay – from collectible baseball cards to brand new cars.
8. eBay’s portfolio includes eBay Marketplace and the eBay Classifieds platform, encompassing a large collection of brands including:
9. eBay Classifieds are available in more than 1,500 cities around the world and help people find whatever they are looking for in their local communities.
Continued strong performance in the Australian market
10. 60% of all Aussie online shoppers purchased something on eBay in 2019.
11. More than 40,000 Aussie retailers current partner with eBay.
12. eBay.com.au has 11 million active monthly visitors.
13. In the Australian market, a smartphone accessory is purchased every five seconds, a tool is purchased every 32 seconds, a home décor item is purchased every 29 seconds, a car part is purchased every six seconds and a watch is purchased every 95 seconds on eBay!
14. 90% of all items sold on eBay in Australia are brand new.
15. More than 3360 Australians have made more than $1 million in sales on eBay since it launched in 1999.
16. eBay is the most commonly used marketplace for cross-border purchases in Australia, with 45% of transactions.
17. Average eBay.com.au site visit dwell time is currently 9 minutes and 41 seconds.
18. Australian sellers on eBay export to over 150 countries.
19. 72% of eBay visits come via a mobile device.
Crunching the numbers
Based on eBay’s Q2 financial reports:
20. eBay reported global revenue of US$2.9 billion, with 62% of that revenue coming from international operations.
21. There were a whopping 530 million eBay and associated app downloads.
22. There were 182 million buyers on the eBay Marketplace and 1.5 billion listings.
23. 91% of eBay listings were fixed price and 81% were brand new items.
24. A touch over $17 billion worth of eBay sales occurred on mobile.
eBay and ChannelAdvisor
You can market, sell and fulfil directly to eBay’s massive customer base, right from within ChannelAdvisor mission control: Improve your eBay Promoted Listings, fine-tune pricing and inventory, manage eBay Guaranteed Delivery and more.
With customers selling on hundreds of e-commerce marketplaces worldwide, ChannelAdvisor can keep you ahead of the latest eBay and other marketplace trends and ensure you’re maximising every opportunity. We make it easy to connect with customers, optimise operations and grow sales channels.
- SUPPORT FOR HUNDREDS OF MARKETPLACES: Manage all marketing, selling and fulfilment activities in one central platform
- EBAY: Specialised tools to drive more traffic and sales
- PRICING STRATEGIES: Automatically reprice and adjust based on the latest competitor data sales trends
- PRODUCT FEED MANAGEMENT: Get the most out of every product listing and ad
Here are some free additional resources on eBay:
- [eBook] 10 ways to make an impact on eBay
- [eBook] Mastering advertising on eBay with Promoted Listings
- [Tip Sheet] Boost your eBay listing visibility with Promoted Listings
- [eBook] Constructing an effective eBay listing
- [On-Demand Webinar] Cross-border trade & leveraging growth with eBay