03/08/2017 ChannelAdvisor Announces Second Quarter 2017 Financial Results
Revenue of $30.0 million increases 11 percent year-over-year
GAAP net loss of $(4.0) million
Adjusted EBITDA of $1.1 million exceeds guidance
Research Triangle Park, NC – August 3, 2017 – ChannelAdvisor Corporation (NYSE: ECOM), a leading provider of cloud-based e-commerce solutions that enable retailers and branded manufacturers to increase global sales, today announced its financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2017.
“Our second quarter results exceeded our guidance for both revenue and adjusted EBITDA,” said David Spitz, CEO of ChannelAdvisor. “I was especially pleased to see our customers’ success translate into very strong variable revenue growth, helping us to drive the fastest revenue growth rate we’ve had in several quarters. Further, we continued to see increasing average revenue per customer. This reflects our focus on attracting large, high-quality customers as well as increasing revenue from existing customers, as we share in the success they achieve from our solutions. Demand for our technology continued to grow and drive our momentum in the marketplace. As such, we remain optimistic that our business momentum will produce improving revenue growth trends as we look ahead and continue to focus on delivering profitable growth.”
Second Quarter 2017 Financial Results
- Total revenue of $30.0 million for the second quarter of 2017 increased 11 percent compared with total revenue of $27.1 million for the second quarter of 2016.
- GAAP net loss was $(4.0) million compared with GAAP net loss of $(6.7) million in the second quarter of 2016. GAAP net loss per share was $(0.15), based on 26.4 million weighted average shares outstanding, compared with a GAAP net loss per share of $(0.26) in the year-ago period, based on 25.5 million weighted average shares then outstanding.
- Non-GAAP net loss, which excludes the impact of non-cash stock-based compensation, was $(0.6) million for the second quarter of 2017 compared with $(2.8) million for the second quarter of 2016.
- Adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP measure, was $1.1 million for the second quarter of 2017 compared with $(0.9) million for the second quarter of 2016. Adjusted EBITDA excludes depreciation, amortization, income tax expense (benefit), interest, and stock-based compensation expense.
- Cash and cash equivalents at quarter-end totaled $57.9 million, compared with $63.4 million at the end of the first quarter of 2017.
Recent Business Highlights
- Average revenue per customer, calculated on a trailing twelve-month basis, increased 11 percent to $41,029 for the twelve months ended June 30, 2017, compared with $37,000 for the twelve months ended June 30, 2016. Total customer count was 2,906 at the end of the second quarter of 2017, compared with 2,878 customers at the end of the second quarter of 2016. These metrics do not include approximately 50 net new customers acquired with our acquisition of HubLogix Commerce Corp. during the second quarter of 2017.
- Fixed subscription fees were 75 percent of total revenue and variable subscription fees were 25 percent of total revenue for the second quarter of 2017. This compares to 77 percent and 23 percent, respectively, for the second quarter of 2016.
- Added new top-tier customers including Fossil Group, HP APAC, VTech, and a top ten global beauty company.
- Acquired HubLogix Commerce Corp. to expand drop-ship and fulfillment capabilities.
- Announced a new strategic partnership with eBay to jointly implement programs to help enable growth for eBay and ChannelAdvisor clients.
- Hosted Catalyst UK on May 16 in Manchester, UK with keynotes by Mary Portas, Julie Deane and speakers from eBay and Google.
Based on information available as of today, ChannelAdvisor is issuing the following guidance for the third quarter and full year of 2017:
Third Quarter 2017
- Total revenue between $29.7 million and $30.1 million.
- Adjusted EBITDA between $(300) thousand and $100 thousand.
- Stock-based compensation expense between $3.2 million and $3.6 million.
- 5 million weighted average shares outstanding.
Full Year 2017
- Total revenue between $123.0 million and $124.5 million.
- Adjusted EBITDA between $5.0 million and $7.0 million.
- Stock-based compensation expense between $12.8 million and $13.3 million.
- 4 million weighted average shares outstanding.
Refer to the “Adjusted EBITDA Guidance Reconciliation” table included with the financial tables at the end of this release for the reconciliation to the most comparable GAAP financial measure.
Conference Call Information
|What:||ChannelAdvisor Second Quarter 2017 Financial Results Conference Call|
|When:||Thursday, August 3, 2017|
|Time:||4:30 p.m. ET|
|Live Call:||(855) 638-4821, Passcode 55992828, Domestic|
|(704) 288-0612, Passcode 55992828, International|
|Webcast:||http://ir.channeladvisor.com (live and replay)|
Key Operating Metrics
Average revenue per customer is revenue divided by the average monthly number of customers during the period, which is calculated by taking the sum of the number of customers at the end of each month in the period and dividing by the number of months in the period.
Number of customers includes all customers who subscribe to at least one of our solutions, but excludes customers acquired from our acquisition of HubLogix and customers who subscribe only to certain legacy product offerings that are no longer part of our strategic focus.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This press release contains the following non-GAAP financial measures: non-GAAP net loss and adjusted EBITDA.
ChannelAdvisor believes that these non-GAAP measures of financial results provide useful information to management and investors relating to ChannelAdvisor’s financial condition and results of operations. The company’s management uses these non-GAAP measures to compare the company’s performance to that of prior periods for trend analyses, and for budgeting and planning purposes. The company believes that the use of these non-GAAP financial measures provides an additional tool for investors to use in evaluating ongoing operating results and trends and in comparing the company’s financial measures with other software companies, many of which present similar non-GAAP financial measures to investors, and that it allows for greater transparency with respect to key metrics used by management in its financial and operational decision-making.
Management of the company does not consider these non-GAAP measures in isolation or as an alternative to financial measures determined in accordance with GAAP. The principal limitation of these non-GAAP financial measures is that they exclude significant expenses that are required by GAAP to be recorded in the company’s financial statements. In order to compensate for these limitations, management presents non-GAAP financial measures together with GAAP results. Non-GAAP measures should be considered in addition to results and guidance prepared in accordance with GAAP, but should not be considered a substitute for, or superior to, GAAP results. Reconciliation tables of the most comparable GAAP financial measures to the non-GAAP financial measures used in this press release are included with the financial tables at the end of this release. ChannelAdvisor urges investors to review the reconciliation and not to rely on any single financial measure to evaluate the company’s business. In addition, other companies, including companies in our industry, may calculate similarly named non-GAAP measures differently than we do, which limits their usefulness in comparing our financial results with theirs.
Cautionary Language Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the “safe harbor” provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including but not limited to, statements regarding our financial outlook and guidance and expectations regarding our growth and that of the e-commerce industry. These forward-looking statements are made as of the date of this release and are based on current expectations, estimates, forecasts and projections, as well as the current beliefs and assumptions of management. Forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, many of which involve factors or circumstances that are beyond ChannelAdvisor’s control. ChannelAdvisor’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied in forward-looking statements due to a number of factors, including but not limited to, risks detailed in ChannelAdvisor’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2016 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q that will be filed for the quarter ended June 30, 2017, as well as other documents that may be filed by the company from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission. These documents are available on the ‘SEC Filings’ section of the Investor Relations page of our website at http://ir.channeladvisor.com. In particular, the following factors, among others, could cause results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements: our reliance for a significant portion of our revenue on sales by our customers on the Amazon and eBay marketplaces and through advertisements on Google; our ability to respond to rapid changes in channel technologies or requirements; our ability to compete successfully against current and future competitors, which could include the channels themselves; our reliance in part on a pricing model under which a portion of the subscription fees we receive from customers is variable, based upon the amount of transaction volume that those customers process through our platform; our reliance on non-redundant data centers and cloud computing providers to deliver our SaaS solutions; the potential that the e-commerce market does not grow, or grows more slowly than we expect, particularly on the channels that our solutions support; challenges and risks associated with our increasing international operations; and security or privacy breaches. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent ChannelAdvisor’s views as of the date of this press release. ChannelAdvisor undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. Accordingly, these forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing ChannelAdvisor’s views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.
Garo Toomajanian, +1 919-228-2003